Experiment no. 4 : CHARACTERISTICS OF CENTRIFUGAL PUMP
AIM : To obtain the characteristics curves for given Centrifugal pump.
APPARATUS : Low speed Centrifugal pump, Energy meter, Calibrated container, Water reservoir, Stop watch
1. Fill the reservoir with water.
2. Open the valves on the suction and delivery lines fully.
3. start the pump.
4. remove air bubbles, if any, from the suction and delivery tapping lines to the manometer.
5. note down the suction and delivery manometer readings.
6. Note down the time required for one revolution of energy meter.
7. note down the time required to fill the calibrated container between the given two marks.
8. repeat 5,6,7 for atleast 12 different flow rates.
Initially when the discharge pressure is low the readings can be taken for a larger increase in delivery pressure. Towards the end the readings should be taken for a smaller change in the delivery pressure.
- Time required for one revolution of energy meter when the pump run empty _____________ sec (T3)
- Energy meter constant: 750 rev/KW
- Height difference between suction and discharge pressure tappings = _________cms.
OBSERVATION TABLE :
|Sr. No.||Suction Pressure Hg = kgf/cm2x76||Discharge pressure cm
Hg = kgf/cm2x76
|Time for one rev. of energy meter T1, sec||Time required to collect water, sec||Vol. collected, ml||Vol. flow rate|
TABLE OF CALCULATED RESULTS
|Sr. No.||Mass Flow rate
|Total Head developed||FHP||Power consumed||BHP||Efficiency|
- power consumed for empty run of the pump
kw1 = 3600 / T3 x 750 = _____________kw
- Mass flow rate = d x Q = _________kg/sec
- H = [(d p + D. p ) x 12.6 +2] /100 = ________ml
- FHP = m x H/75 = ________HP
- Total power consumed by pump = kw2 = 3600 /T1 x 750
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.